Extreme conditions for fishing from ice in the cold season require careful preparation for this process. It is necessary not only to check the gear, but also the bait and all the needed fishing accessories. Obviously, ice fish finder equipment should be given special attention as using a quality fish finder for on ice fishing is essential. Make sure the fish finder that you choose can withstand the extreme temperatures and has software that is uniquely designed for ice fishing.
The Second Most Important Ice Fishing Equipment
Clothing should be warm, waterproof and not easily blown by cold winds on snow-covered reservoirs. You will also need special shoes, thanks to which the feet stay warm. These can be warm boots of any kind, but it is better to buy special boots for winter fishing. Novice wintering fishermen, and sometimes their more experienced colleagues, find it difficult to choose among today's variety some good shoes that provide comfort when moving on ice and protect feet from frost, snow and water. So what do you need to know to buy really high-quality boots and not be disappointed in the purchase during your first fishing trip? Consider the main characteristics that need attention:
- Weight - Winter fishing with a backpack or fishing box makes it difficult to walk in deep snow, so shoes should be as light as possible (regardless of the material and thickness of the sole). An ice fishing portable fish finder that is compact and portable like the HawkEye FishTrax or DepthTrax Handheld Depth Finder will make your commute to your ice fishing grounds a lot easier.
- Size - It is important to choose the boots exactly in size so that they do not dangle on their feet and do not hamper movement, otherwise there is a risk of frostbite or rub calluses.
- Material - Both the sole and the tops should be made of heat retaining, impermeable, elastic materials that do not crack in the cold. A deep sole protector or a special studded lining will improve grip on the slippery surface of ice, and a tightening cuff with lacing on the toe will prevent cold air, snow and moisture from getting inside.
- Insulation - In addition to the heat-insulating function, it must ensure good air exchange, due to which the foot will not sweat and consequently freeze. The ideal option is shoes with removable insulation. If necessary, it can be replaced and dried at home. To have this opportunity, you need to purchase spare liners.
- Stitches - When buying a hybrid model (rubber overcoat + canvas or leather boot), you should carefully consider the seams connecting the two parts of the boot. Much depends on their quality. Even through a miniature crack in the place of adhesion water will leak.
Such parameters as color, design, shaft height, the presence of a small heel, etc., have no effect on comfort. Each fishermen must choose at his own discretion.
It is advisable to buy boots in specialized fishing and hunting stores where they sell proven shoes from leading manufacturers.Their cost usually corresponds to quality, although there are cases of overpricing for some branded products.
MATERIALS FOR MAKING WINTER FISHING BOOTS
What are shoes made for fishing in the winter months, made of? There are several options, and all of them have proven themselves in conditions of extremely low temperatures:
- Rubber with insulation - Rubber boots are a solid molded product with insulating multi-layered neoprene inside. The thickness of the neoprene tab is not going to be less than 3 mm. These types of boots are generally lighter than standard winter boots, but if you walk in them all day, in the evening fatigue will make itself felt. Some manufacturers of shoes in this category declare a lower temperature threshold to -25 degrees, but in practice this is not always true. In some models, the legs begin to freeze at -10.
Conclusion: rubber boots are suitable for ice fishing in warm weather. For example, according to the weather conditions, it is best worn when there are still no severe frosts, or in March, when we have already fully entered the spring season.
- Polyurethane - Due to their low cost, polyurethane shoes are in great demand among fans of winter fishing. And this is not its only advantage. Boots made of polyurethane perfectly keep warm due to the porous structure, so be sure not to slip, and do not let the water through (seamless casting). They are lighter than rubber, therefore they are more suitable for long-distance crossings while trying to find fish while ice fishing. Thermal insulating liners that supply such shoes, allow fishing at temperatures up to -20-25 degrees. Listed more than enough to make a choice in her favor.
- Ethylene vinyl acetate - EVA is an innovative material, the main advantages of which are lightness and elasticity. He also has excellent isothermal qualities and absolute water resistance. Boots made of ethylene vinyl acetate retain elasticity in any weather, even at very low temperatures - up to -50 degrees. Winter models are available with multi-layer insulating liners capable of retaining heat and evaporating. To catch such shoes is a pleasure.
- The combination of rubber with leather (tarpaulin) - Such hybrid boots are called Canadian, and they also have quite a few admirers. The tops can also be EVA or polyurethane. This combination was developed by Canadians for polar explorers inspecting ice depths and winter ice surveying, but very quickly it was adopted by the manufacturers of fishing and tourist equipment. The rubber galosh and the top from the "breathing" materials provide reliable protection against cold and removal of vapors. Inside provides insulation. Some models are designed to operate in the most extreme conditions - at temperatures up to -100 degrees. But in these boots you can catch is not always and not everywhere, because they do not have 100 percent waterproof.
WOMEN'S BOOTS FOR WINTER FISHING
Recently, in reservoirs, it is increasingly possible to see women who have themselves become "hooked" on such a male hobby as ice fishing. Surprisingly enough, many of them manage to catch all year round. It is assumed that for the representatives of the strong half of humanity, it is relatively easy to bear all the burdens of winter fishing, but as fishermen, we assume they would need more comfort. That is why they need to choose boots not only for price and appearance but winter fishing boots for women must meet the same criteria as is required for men: they must be light, warm, waterproof, breathable, preferably with removable insulation (insulating liners), fitted exactly in size, have protective cuffs on the toe and come equipped with non-slip elastic soles.
Realizing that ice fishing has long ceased to be a purely male occupation, manufacturers began to massively produce women's fishing boots for winter with different performance characteristics. The range of such products today is quite wide, there are so many lovers of fishing from the ice, that it is difficult to determine the precise amount. To choose the right boots, you must be clear about the conditions in which it will be used.
For example, Baffin Wolf is a rather expensive model from a Canadian manufacturer (150-200 dollars), but the cost is justified by the high quality of the product. This winter footwear does not make the legs heavier; it is warm and comfortable in it. The outer material is a super-strong nylon with double weaving, the inner one is an insulating liner with a special Thermaplus coating consisting of 7 layers. Rubber outsole. The cuff is tightened, excluding moisture. Adjustable straps are provided on the lower legs, which securely fix the boot on the leg. There are also reflective elements for the safety of the angler in the dark.
These types of boots are better in terms of safety and comfort than other shoes. For their production, they used super light materials that have excellent heat retention. You can spend hours walking on a frozen river or lake, and your legs won't get tired. Secondly, during periods of prolonged thaws, when the snow melts quickly and forms large puddles on the ice, the feet get wet immediately in regular shoes and ultimately ruin the fun of fishing. With boots like those mentioned above, this problem never arises. Moreover, modern boots designed for winter fishing are are not in danger of low temperatures, instead they are characterized by ease of maintenance and durability. One pair easily maintains several seasons.